Please note: OPTIMA is now closed to new applicants.
Unlike other four year programmes, we want the integrated study portion to constantly inform and educate our students throughout their time with us. All of our students have innovative projects using cutting-edge technology to solve some of the most pressing issues in medicine today. We want our students to understand and appreciate the innovative leaps they are making and be able to capitalise on their discoveries. This trains our students to have a "Heart for Science and a Head for Business". When you have an academic research base that is commercialisation-aware and has real world nous - innovations will be fast-tracked and the leap from bench to bedside becomes a highway for cutting-edge healthcare.
Some of the courses that make up the integrated study portion of OPTIMA include:
- Optical Medical Imaging Grand Challenge
- 3 month Industrial Placement
- Innovation-Driven Entrepreneurship
- Translational Study - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Masterclass
- Ethics and Regulatory Processes in Translating Innovation from Bench to Man
- Technology Commercialisation Workshop
- Build your own microscope workshop
OPTIMA students chose from a range of exciting and innovative projects that breakdown the barriers between physics, chemistry, medicine and engineering.
Please see the Cohorts pages for examples of current projects.